An hour plus draining time
Depends on what you do with it
First of all, this is not really ricotta. Actual ricotta is made from heating whey to nearly boiling point and the protein that comes off is the ricotta cheese. But to get enough whey together to make ricotta at home is somewhat difficult, so we are making a product that approximates for ricotta, and can be used in the same way, either sweetened or otherwise.
1. Sterilise all your equipment. We use sterilising tablets in water for about 15 to 30 minutes. It is imperative that the equipment is clean.
2. Combine the milk and cream in a large pan.
3. Place on the hob and heat to just over 90°C / 194F
4. Add your vinegar to the mixture and stir in slowly.
5. Leave to cool down and then spoon either into a cheesecloth or a fine ricotta net from the supermarket – ask for one at the counter; if they have any spare you will get one for free.
6. Hang the cheese over a large bowl and leave the ricotta to drain overnight. It is remarkable how the vinegar aroma goes away.
7. Refrigerate as soon as it is ready and use as you like. Add a little salt if you are not using it for sweet cheese. Make sure you consume within a couple of days.