1 steak per person
Probably the easiest, tastiest cut of steak is a sirloin, choose one that weighs about 200-250g per person.
A very rare steak is cooked for 2 minutes on each side, a well done steak is cooked for 4 – 5 minutes on each side.
1. Take the meat out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking it.
2. Dry the meat by patting it with kitchen roll.
3. Rub sunflower or rapeseed oil all over the steaks and season with a little salt and black pepper. If you are making a sauce to go with the steaks, don’t use salt on the steak – simply season the sauce (That way the salt police will be happy!) Remember salt draws moisture, and therefore tenderness and flavour from your meat.
4. Heat your frying pan over a medium to high heat, hold your hand about 5cm above the pan and, if it feels hot, place the steaks in the pan.
5. Cook for 2 minutes on one side, then turn. Cook for a further 2 minutes on the other side.
7. When it is cooked to your liking place on a warm plate for 5 minutes before serving. This allows the meat to rest and it will be far more tender than being served immediately.
8. Pour over any juices from the pan or resting plate.